sheep lover from an early age!

sheep lover from an early age!
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fruit Bush City Limits



I'm fortunate enough to be living on a tiny vineyard, and I've found a delish-kiss way to use up the extra fruity bits that are hanging around here in the outer city limits of Sunny Sonoma. There's a couple of peach trees, lots of blackies growing madly along the creek, plus after the October harvest (here in wine country), they'll be tasty seedy leftovers on the cab sav vines.

I don't partake of the vino anymore, (but don't worry, I've had my share) so I'm glad to have happened upon a delightful little summer drink that I can home make with this fruity abundance, called Coconut Fruit Shrub. It's from a book on my recco'd list called "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the reskipees in this book. Fabulous, with a big coconut influence - afterall, I am a South Pacific girl!

Anyways, here's the way to make fruit shrub or bush as I call it:

Any fruity bits... 'bout 2 cups, and crush it up
(I use peaches & blackberries together or grape alone)
1 cup Coconut Vinegar
(available in Asian stores and now at Whole Foods)
5 cups of water (I use filtered creek)

Mix it all up in a glass container. Cover tightly and leave at room temp for a couple of days. Strain and then put the bush juice in the fridge. I like to freeze the fruit pulp leftovers and use it as a garnish for porridge or yoghurt, etc. It's kinda soury sweet and I think very delish-kiss... but! don't keep the grape stuff 'cause of the seeds.

Whoops... back to the bush: To serve, mix 1/2 a cup of bush juice with 1 to 2 cups of plain sparkly water, add a pinch of celtic sea salt and I like to add a squeeze of lime. For me on a hot summers day, it works like an electrolite drink, and if you stick it in a fancy glass with ice and a mint sprig, your mates will think you're rather posh. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yea... what about them bushes !! Coconut is the BEST..like fat free ice cream. lol

    ReplyDelete